View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaika-Dzari View Post
Hello eveyone,

My first post Thanks in advance to help me

Like probably most of you, I'm an avid reader; mostly scifi and fantasy in my case...
No more place to keep the books I buy, so it may be the right time to check for an ereader.

But, I have a couple of question and I'm not really sure what should I buy.

A couple of info to guide my choice :
  • I'm a Linux user
  • I'm canadian
  • I want to read books. Manga is a bonus. I don't want a tablet...
  • I hate DRM
  • Max 150$

Since I'm canadian, the choice is more limited. The 3 on my list are the Kindle, the last Sony or the kobo touch.

So a couple of questions to help me make a better choice :
1- Is it possible to make the initial setup without a computer (I presume there is no support for Linux)
2- Can I buy books directly from the ereader ?
3- Like I said, I hate DRM. I pay for my book and I refuse to keep DRM file on my device. Is it possible to strip DRM on Linux for one of these ereader ?

Unless Sony has changed with the release of the PRS-T1, their readers are usable out of the box. Kobo, I am pretty sure requires set up.. but they do have a Linux version of their desktop that might do it, though I don't know how well it is maintained.

Since neither my nor my wife's readers have wireless I can't comment on buying books.

As for DRM, all I can note is that increasingly sci-fi publishers appear to be moving away from it. Baen never used it as well as quite a few smaller publishers which sell through Baen.. and Tor has stopped using it.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote