View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I greatly prefer physical transfer. I use wi-fi on the PDN only when I absolutely must (and grudgingly). The JBL doesn't have wi-fi and is my (much) preferred reader.

My current method allows me to keep a centralized "library" that is very easily backed-up to CD-R or external drive -- just copy the directory.

An example of a current frustrating (to me) situation. When Fictionwise was running I bought monthly issues of the four Dell magazines there -- Analog, Asimov's, Alfred Hitchcock's and Ellery Queen's. I could download them to my computer, then copy them to the JBL's SD card. Now that they're gone, I buy Analog and Asimov's at Barnes & Noble -- but, unlike the ebooks they sell, B&N won't allow me to download the magazines to my PC through my browser. I have to use my PDN, via wi-fi. Once the files are on the PDN I can copy them to an SD card for the JBL and the library on my PC. Between the loss of FW's discounts and the extra hassle involved, I stopped buying Alfred Hitchcock's and Ellery Queen's.

Again, I'm sure I'm not typical.

EDIT: Also, when I read, I read; when I shop, I shop. I don't need or want to combine them.

Last edited by cromag; 01-22-2013 at 12:38 AM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote