View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It seems to me that Indigo made an investment, spent some real money, and it was reflected in its bottom line for the quarter. No where in there does it seem to imply anything negative about the future financial success of the Kobo reader.
But if you combine the fact that BordersUS and Redgroup Retail are in the red (2 other major backers) the future does look uncertain, especially if all three don't really have readily available cash to invest too much further. I really do hope the Kobo becomes a big success. For me (not currently an owner but damn close) they;

- are the first to provide Linux desktop software for ebook purchasing/syncing. So now one could buy epubs and sync with their reader natively without wine+ADE.
- Their ebooks, whilst not a huge selection (will grow in time) the prices are good.
- I have no doubt that once things settle down Kobo will introduce more formats to the reader, such as .TXT/.RTF/possible HTML.

I am still waiting for an ereader with ADE support to REMOVE those damn pesky page numbers on the side. Drives me nuts. Some epubs you buy have no margins (so the side numbers get in the way) or the margins are huge and subsequently when zooming the page numbers go up in size as well.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote