View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
MichaelGade
Banned
MichaelGade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MichaelGade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MichaelGade has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Before I begin, let me just say that I love my CyBook. I love to read, and I read a lot. But reading on a backlit screen for more than a couple of hours gives me a splitting headache.

Quote:
To read anything on the cybook, I have to start out with an annoying conversion process, sometimes renaming every image...Converting them all to RGB, resizing and finally making a PDF of them (just so it'll save my position)
Dude, you are missing the point.

First off, a comic is not a book. So reading comics on a dedicated book reader is not a good idea. (You can do it, it's just not a good idea).

Second. (and dont flame me for this) PDF is not ebook. Never has been, never will be (and i dont care what Adobe says). PDF is a format for moving preformatted pages between computers. Adobe tries to "fix" this fact with "reflowable" PDF's, but you still cant make it reflow across pages.

What I love:
The weight. I can read this with one hand for hours with no problems.
Fonts. This is a big plus. I can use ANY font I want. 10 thumbs up.

What I hate:
The lack of ePub support. Especially when this page
http://bookeen.com/specs/ebook-CybookGen3.aspx
claims that : ePUB support can be available via firmware upgrade.
Thats a lie, no let me rephrase that. That's a DAMN lie. (and where I live, lying about features gives the buyer the right to cancel the purchase, no questions asked).
I bought this device for the ePub support, but I guess the jokes on me for believing what they tell me. (and not checking with a third party before handing out cash).

The "Stonewall" treatment.
Nobody can get any response out of Bookeen. Comments on the "official" blog are moderated, and any comment they dont like is just not published.

Their "FAQ".
Come on... Nobody EVER asked those questions. So it's not really a FAQ, its a list of questions they WISH people would ask, because then they can brag about how wonderful everything is.

The lack of "Folders"
Finding anything on the device becomes boring really fast.

Things that don't bother me
DRM. I refuse to ever own a book that is dumbed down.
PDF. See above.
Adobe. There is no such thing as Adobe ePub. There is Adobe, and there is ePub. And if you believe that Adobe ePub is a good idea. Take a good hard look at Microsoft XML (its not XML).

I even suggested that they release a firmware without any DRM support. (I would PAY for such a thing). It should be no surprise that I got the "Stonewall".

They say that hell has British cooks, German lovers, Italian police and French government.
They may be right.
MichaelGade is offline   Reply With Quote