View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
I'm about 150 (sony reader) pages in and so far it's pretty good. Best way I can describe it is like a cross between In The Name of the Rose and a fat fantasy novel, if Richard Dawkins and Stephen Hawking had collaborated on one; it takes time and patience - it's almost the exact opposite of a light read, and there's a steep learning curve that some reviews assure me will soon be over. It doesn't have quite the manic energy of Snow Crash and Zodiac (although the first couple of pages of actual narrative - once you're past the intro and notes - are classic Stephenson), but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
Thanks for the information on this.

I've been reading a number of reviews. Most cite the steep learning curve. That, in itself, won't throw me off at all; in fact, I consider it a challenge.

I'll probably buy the Sony edition and take advantage of the 20% off before that offer expires, although I was planning on using some money on purchasing the remaining Proust volumes that are currently on sale. (The volumes I assembled for MobileRead are from an earlier translation.)

I guess that means Sony will get more money from me.

I'm disappointed that Sony is finally offering so many bargains and freebies [from last month]. I was hoping they wouldn't "GET IT," being mired in a kind of corporate smegma. But HEY!, I guess even corporations can change!!

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote