View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Kudos to you for being a thoughtful parent of a book lover!

Another vote for the eBookwise 1150. (You can always get .LIT format books and strip out the DRM to make them readable on the 1150.) I think it's probably sturdier than the Sony model, though the Sony batteries last longer and the display would be better if your daughter likes manga as much as mine does. It's worth checking to see if the credit card deal is still available.

Be aware, however, that the choice of titles for this age range (even adding on a few years of maturity for the young bibliophile) is pretty slim. There are many older public domain "classics" available, and some very popular fantasy/sf that the publishers think might reasonably appeal to older readers. I don't know what kind of books your daughter likes to read, but you might want to check some online bookstores to see what's there for her. Even on the "darknet," it's hard to find books that kids are interested in. On the other hand, if you think this might be a good opportunity to encourage her to diversify her reading tastes, you might be able to be more flexible in your content requirements. PM me if you'd like to hear some of my experiences in this area. (My 13 year old daughter, who does enjoy reading, uses my old eBw 1150, but not as much as I'd hoped-- but we're in easy reach of libraries and book stores, not on the road.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote