View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #55
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
HarryT, I think it would be worthwhile seeing if more people bought more music after downloading "free" (if "pirated") samples. Several people, including some researchers at places like Harvard, have made that claim. I happen to think it's a plausible claim, after reviewing the research. I suppose it still doesn't negate the fact that the people sharing files are breaking the law, but if the research is correct, the content publishers are really acting against their own interests by pursuing such laws.

Steve, with regard to people downloading songs they don't like, see John Scalzi's (or maybe it was Charlie Stross') discussion of the "gift-giving" economy of file sharing. Some people download content just so they can offer it to others.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote