View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #1238
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hi, I've just acquired an Aura HD (I'm coming from my good old PRS-650) and my Christmas wishes for features in a future firmware would be:
  • There's no GoTo Page function. (And yes, I know that "page numbers" are quite artificial in epubs but they are still faster and more accurate than the small sliding bar that Kobo interface offers).
  • IT DOESN'T SUPPORT NESTED ToCs !?!?!?! (Yes, upper case, bold font and red colour completely intentional). Nested items are fully flattened to just one level... What were Kobo crew thinking about? I just cannot believe that this feature is not implemented. (More over, I really thought that Sony people were nearly dumb because of the no-way-to-access-the-parent-item-in-a-nested-ToC bug that, at last, PRS+ guys were able to fix; but the Kobo people have achieved a brand new mark in the trying-to-do-the-most-absurd-thing-you-can-imagine award). Because of this lack of support, a completely detailed ToC with a lot of fine detail (and where the e-book author has probably spent quite a lot of time and effort) just becomes a mess of twenty pages...
  • Footer is somehow too big. You are loosing quite a lot of room in a wonderful big screen. What's the point of this wonderful screen if you are half-wasting it? And it becomes worse in kepubs (or in kepubized epubs through Calibre KoboTouchExtended plug-in) because of the addition of a header... Can you put size tweaking options, please? (And obviously a fully hiding option would be just fantastic).
  • An option to override the font type ONLY when the epub/kepub doesn't have internal CSS styles with font settings already set. (Or even better: ONLY where the epub/kepub doesn't already set them; I mean, when some of its CSS styles do set the font in some <p> but not in other <p>, just change the font in the latter ones).
  • Zooming options on embedded images. As example I suggest that when long-pressing on a image you get a pop up window with options on the image.

OTOH and a bit off-topic. Aura HD is quite faster and with an incredible better resolution than my old PRS-650, (and the pdf viewer is just in another league even without reflow). BUT I must say that the PRS-650 white is clearly whiter than the Aura HD one although both of them are using Pearl e-Ink technology. (Maybe the layer for the light is somehow darkening the screen?)

Last edited by arspr; 10-29-2013 at 06:12 PM.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote