View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #137
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Crisis of Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
My own preference is not to quote thoughts as if they're dialogue, I find that can get confusing when thoughts are mixed near dialogue. Others differ, obviously, but something to consider.
I agree if by this you mean using quotes to delimit the thoughts. Thoughts can be expressed just as plain text, with a 'she thought' added if it's unclear from the context.

There's a whole other discussion about when, if ever, to put thoughts into italics.

I think it depends on the story and how deep you've pushed the point of view into the protagonist's head.

Spoiler:
In Katsunami's story, clearly we need two different ways of deliming thought. One for Elani, and one for when she hears Lady Ariana. Italics work well for the latter, and I'm comfortable with putting the brackets round them as well. That immediately gives the sense of it being a separate event inside Elani's head.

Bear in mind too that if your protagonist usually thinks in normal, unquoted text, then you can go to italics for a particularly emphatic thought.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 03-13-2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: spelling. Removing unnecessary thought.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote