View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
I have seen many many novels translated to a movie, and have almost always been left lacking. For the most part, there is almost no way that you can shrink a novel into a screenplay that lasts 2-2 1/2 hours... something always gets cut out, glossed over etc etc.

What I have found is that the television mini-series is a much better avenue for getting a story on the screen... its just on the teley instead of a movie screen. Roots, Thornbirds, Lonesome Dove etc etc. were all more complete than if they were brought to the big screen.

Agreed?
Agreed entirely. That's why I think short stories / novellas make better movies than novels. One excellent novella movie adaptation was Barry Longyear's SF story "Enemy Mine".

One exception I would make is the LOTR movies, especially their "extended editions". I think those are as good as one could really hope for.

I was extremely disappointed by the recent movie adaptation of Phillip Pullman's "The Golden Compass". They cut out virtually all the interesting "background stuff" to leave a rather incoherent "action" movie which didn't make a lot of sense.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote