View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #44
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
No, and for DRM:ed files there is no issue.
There is if you would like to fix something...

Quote:
You assume that the original creator is still around. What will happen in many cases is that files cannot be enhanced because the original creator is not around and somebody starts over again duplicating the work.
So?

There are files posted to MobileRead now that could be considered duplications of effort. Look at some of the files HarryT has been releasing, where he has put substantial effort into proofing and correcting the source text to produce a more accurate version. It's probably faster and simpler to create a whole new release than to try to correct and existing one in such a case.

Quote:
I did not now that you could create zip files on a Linux machine until yesterday... I thought the the licence for ZIP files where more problematic or that the licence for programs to create ZIP files were worse. But I might have misunderstood things.
The zip format was created by the late Phil Katz, who did business as PKWare. He started out making products that were improvements on the existing MS-DOS "ARC" archiver from a company called Seaware. Phil's PKArc and PKXArc provided better and much faster compression and decompression than the ARC equivalents. Seaware sued him for rights violations, as they had not released details of their archive format or permitted its use by other products.

Phil countered by creating PKZip, with a completely different archive format. He explicitly dedicated the Zip format to the public domain, so anyone could create software to create and manipulate Zip files, and many folks have done so. Open source products called zip and unzip have been available for Unix/Linux/BSD for years.

I'm startled you just discovered you could create zip files under Linux.

Quote:
Does Mobipocket Creator allow you to decompress the files?
No. It allows you to compress them. It you have MobiPocket Creator, it's assumed you have the source texts, and you can do another build at will. There's no reason for it to decompress the files.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote