Thread: PRS-T2 Epub turns into EPU?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Queequeg View Post
...Actually I’m using Mac – don’t know if it has similar limitations for filenames as the one mentioned for Windows above. (As a rather typical Mac-user, I’m blissfully ignorant of everything that goes on on ”the far side” – of keyboard and screen.)

In any case, the problem has never occurred with any of the files stored on my computer, the ”mutations” only turn up in the Library of the Reader (and only on the SD-card, if I remember right) – usually, as I said, when I check after getting the message ”contentservice has stopped unexpectedly”...
The aliasing is dependant of how the OS manages long filenames in the disc file system so is not just a Windows thing, but I cannot comment on how Apple (HFS+ file system) goes about it. My knowledge of Apple is rotten to the core but my understanding is that Apple OSs use aliasing in some way or another too.

The Sony T family (Android OS) use FAT and FAT32 file systems for their own and card memories, and Windows uses those too as well as NTFS. As I said, Windows uses aliasing and as far as I know Android does too (in some way or another, am no expert on Android).

Everything you say (the EPU extension and the truncated to 8 characters filename) indicates that the shortened filenames you are getting are alias filenames propagating from somewhere in the PC->eReader->SD card chain, or else it is something in the Apple's OS which is preventing it seeing some long filenames on the eReader as anything other than their alias in the FAT filesystem.

It may be possible, although less likely, that a machine the file resided on in the past is implicated. As I mentioned this used to occasionally happen even with files between Windows OS PCs way back in the past (for example long file names on Windows 95 and later would show as the 8.3 character alias on earlier Windows and vice versa).

I don't know where the cause of your problem lies. But, your comment that perhaps it occurs only with files on the SD card may be a clue as to this being where the problem lies. So my first suggestion would be to reformat it, if not done already since the problem arose, preferably using the eReaders own formatting tool or else with a reliable FAT32 formatting tool such as those provided with the Windows OSs, and see what comes of that.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 10-25-2013 at 04:36 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote