View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 AM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Reuther View Post
Makes me cringe that some of those have been in my test pool. LeagueGothic-CondensedRegular, for example. That one came to me in otf (off of fontsquirrel's link) and KindlePreviewer warned that it's a PostScript font...tried anyway, and it was stripped.

But I will give it a shot with some of the others. Thank you very much for giving me a sampling to work from.
Sure. NP.

Quote:
I'll add that into my @font-face declarations then.

I agree, and I've been around and around with KDP support on this and they tell me that they are researching it, then send me some pathetic wrong answer over a month later, or they just tell me I am doing it wrong. But according to their documentation, I'm not.

So, yeah...

Facepalm indeed.

And for the record, if it is useful, I am happy to hand the file off with some of these sample fonts (since we know they should work) just to see if touching the epub is useful. I really feel pretty awful talking to a professional formatter and basically begging for help, but the reason I have gone to the the time and effort of researching how to do this properly myself is because I believe that keeping the process in house is, in the long run, a much better option. (Assuming you can figure out how to do it right...which at this point it seems that I can't! Everything was going well until I wanted to take that one last little professional step and give the headers a bit to set them off by embedding fonts. Now, months later I am finally at the point of public begging for help. *sigh*)
It's weird. It's going to be something really, really dumb. That doesn't mean that you're dumb; it just means it's going to be some stupid keystroke somewhere. I had some guy who tried and tried and tried to make a fixed-format book, and it kept not working. He finally sent me the whole enchilada, source and all, and I don't remember what the hell it was now, but it was, literally, something like...he'd put a line of code inside the meta instead of inside the manifest. It was that simple. Once I saw it (and I'd be embarrassed to admit how many hours it took me to SEE it), I saw it. It was obvious. But, it's like the "last place you look" shtick. It's going to be something in the CSS or the OPF, I think that's a given. Either that or it's so weird that nobody will ever figure it out.

I assume you're using the latest KindleGen, and you said you'd even tried Calibre to AZW or whatever (K8 format) it is it makes, is that right? And that got stripped, also? Is that correct? Because if that's true, then it's definitely something in the ePUB. I mean, at least that narrows it down somewhat. And this is one book, or have you tried multiple books? (Again--just trying to narrow it down some).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote