Thread: iLiad Ruby 1.8.5 for iLiad
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
IMHO it's a *very* bad idea to symlink /usr/local to a cf or sd.
Well, internal storage is also possible if you run the installer from there. It's not restricted to external storage locations.
Quote:
  • Other apps (like Feedbooks subscriptions plugin) might depend on software installed there. These will be broken when the sd card is removed
  • Besides: the preinstall will break apps that have been installed with a similar trick; and your package will be broken by the next one using a similar preinstall script.
  • I think this would corrupt the ipkg configuration...
  • I think using ipk's is only safe when installing on internal memory. For installs on cf just use plain install scripts.
  • What if another package (to be installed in /usr/local) does not want to be installed on the cf card (I read that access to cf can break a wifi connection)?
I agree on your points, but I have made some assumptions in advance:
  • I assumed people only have one storage card, and not an SD and CF together, so most of their programs will reside in the same location
  • I'm always having my storage card inserted, I remove it only when I copy files from my PC. I agree that I will run into problems when I'm running the Feedbooks plugin while my card is not inserted. But as my newspapers usually go to the CF card, I will have a problem there anyway.
  • We should keep the internal memory clean for really important programs. I installed some programs that had to go to internal memory (FBreader, Dillo (to avoid the WiFi bug)), and I have only ~3MBs left which isn't enough for Ruby. And IMO Ruby is not such an essential program (yet ) that it has to reside on the internal memory.
  • (just a minor one) Compiling is much easier. Just do a ./configure --prefix=/usr/local and let preinstall do the rest
The best situation would be if we had enough storage to store the apps internally. But as this isn't the case we have to find a workaround. IMO storing all external apps in a single location and linking this to /usr/local/ is a good trade-off.

I think this topic is important when we think of the new iLiad OS. In future "visions" I see a centralized package management system for the device, and things have to be standardized then. So do you have any other idea how to solve these problems?

Quote:
thanks for the recipe

Continue the good work!
Thanks!
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote