View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #309
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
My dictionary says that in order to be obscene, something must be "abhorrent to morality or virtue; specifically : designed to incite to lust or depravity". Which begs the question, whose standards of morality? Yours or mine? Khadaffi's? The Vatican's? Marquis de Sade's?

And that's why I have a serious problem with PayPal's behavior. I'm fairly confident that what they find obscene is different from what I find obscene, but they force me to follow their definition, and justify it by saying that my definition is wrong or at least less right and less valid, than theirs.
Two things:
1) Your definition is, "The dictionary says X, but it doesn't make sense and leaves all sorts of unanswered questions." So how do you specifically define obscenity?

2) Must PayPal (or any business) perform business transactions that involve materials they have deemed to be obscene simply because you do not deem them to be obscene? If so, isn't that effectively saying that their definition is less right or less valid than yours?
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote