View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PRS-505 v Kobo v Aluratek Libre

Okay, so after exploring options for a long time, I think I've narrowed it down to these three.

Sony Reader PRS-505
I'm considering buying this from a user on these forums.

Pros: By all accounts, a terrific device that is near unanimously praised, so helps in giving me the piece of mind that I'm buying something that's really good. And the PRS+ patch apparently makes it even better. Also, it comes with a decent cover.

Cons: I will be buying a used piece. Also, the model is a little old, and apparently not as fast as some of the newer ones. Also, it will cost me a little more than the other two. Not prohibitively so, but still...

Kobo eReader
Available on Borders.com, who do seem to take international orders plus shipping. At least, it looks like it. I created an account and proceeded with the ordering through the steps just short of actually paying, and at no point did it say "Sorry, we won't ship to your neck of the woods". If anyone knows different, please do share.

Pros: A brand new reader; looks quite good; comes with enough internal memory that I'll probably never need to bother with an SD card. Also, I like the bookshelf feature they have. Not very useful, exactly, but looks kinda cool.

Cons: It is brand new, and like many new devices there might be some teething issues. A possibly significant concern for me; since I don't live in US, it won't be easy for me to send the device back in for repairs or replacement if something goes wrong (assuming they even have international warranty to begin with). Also, it is a bit bare-bones, and lacks some of the features that the others have. For instance, the 505 (with the PRS+) has a dictionary.

Aluratek Libre
Also available on Borders.com, for an impressively low $120.

Pros: Seems to support every format under the sun; price is great; uses an LCD so page turns are instantaneous.

Cons: 5" display might be a tad too small; pretty small internal memory (the one at Borders doesn't seem to come with the 2GB SD card that Aluratek themselves include); I'm not sure about the reliability, as it seems some people here have reported problems with the device, which brings up my 'sending in for repairs' concern again; again, no dictionary.

Any one have any advice?

Last edited by afa; 06-15-2010 at 05:39 AM.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote