View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Don't worry. After familiarizing yourself with the specs, the only thing you have to worry about is learning which parts of the specs each of the various devices/apps chooses to ignore utterly or interpret differently.
You do not motivate me to start reading this spec but I am still laughing after reading your post. Thanks!

I mentioned in some post that I was not sure to be understood (This world is so cruel with me). At the same time I unzip my ePub to create a new uuid (anecdotic) I use my AHK_L script to:
  • Delete the HTML file that contains the cover image
  • Delete reference to this file if it was included in the TOC Html file
  • Include the meta name="cover" in the OPF Metadata section
  • Check if it exists, if not, I create <item href of my cover image in the OPF manifest
  • delete the reference to the html cover page in the OPF Manifest section
  • delete the reference to the html cover page in the OPF guide section
  • Remove the navpoint related to the html cover page in the NCX navmap
  • As this navmap was playorder 1, the script also renumber the other navmaps starting with 1
  • Optionnaly create a new NCX with only the chapters headings (reduced navmap without nested subchapters)
  • Replace the epub css by 1 mobi.css with Amazon Media Queries
  • Modify all HTML files to make reference to the new css file
  • Run kindlegen OPF
  • Launch Kindle Previewer
So ... some of you prefer to do all these things mannually, it's OK. Others will prefer to use Kindlegen on the original epub and let Kindlegen do the job for the cover, it is great. Others will prefer to upload the original epub directly to KDP, it is wonderful.

I do my way because it makes sense to me and I am lucky to have the means to spend my time playing with all this stuff, no delivery constraints, no other pressure except the one that I impose to myself (I am still business driven).

I think it is crystal clear. No?

And at the same time I have fun, if I have a doubt, I am extremely happy to post a question here. I have never been disappointed. Better, I even start to be enough confident to give my advice. What audacity for a karma'10!
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote