Thread: Whither SF?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 04:21 AM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Or maybe it's simply that the rate of scientific advancement has begun accelerating to the point where tomorrow's breakthrough is less easily predicted, making science fiction that much harder to write.
i'm 34. if you had told me 20 years ago that i'd be using a pocket computer by the time i was 30 i'd have called you a nut.

dr. kaku theorizes that at the rate of advancement in computing the next 50-100 years may see the uploading of human consciousness and essentially the end of death. we're on the cusp of being able to regrow limbs and organs. etc.

sorry, but the gee-whiz spaceships and aliens simply aren't as exciting as what i see around me every day.

edit-2 days ago:

Bionic eyes activate! Microchip gives sight to the blind

"A tiny 3mm microchip has given vision back to the blind. Scientists and doctors in Oxford implanted a new “bionic eye” microchip in the eyes of two blind individuals last month during a grueling eight-hour operation. The chips were placed in the back of the eyes and connected with electrodes. Weeks later, both individuals — Chris James and Robin Millar — have regained ‘useful vision’ and are well on their way to recognizing faces and seeing once again, reports Sky News.

“Since switching on the device I am able to detect light and distinguish the outlines of certain objects which is an encouraging sign,” said James. “I have even dreamt in very vivid colour for the first time in 25 years so a part of my brain which had gone to sleep has woken up! I feel this is incredibly promising for future research and I’m happy to be contributing to this legacy.”

Both patients, previously blind, were able to immediately detect light after the chip/sensor (which isn’t entirely unlike the cameras in in your smartphone) was turned on, as well as detect white objects in a dark background. Their eyes have been improving since. Though they’ll never regain color vision, the chip (designed by a company called Retina Implant) is fitted with 1,500 pixels which pick up light and transmit it to the brain. It gives patients a ”field of vision is limited to a window the size of a CD case held at arm’s length.”

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-te...#ixzz1u4mx10Iu

Last edited by xg4bx; 05-06-2012 at 04:28 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote