View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #36
sanders
Connoisseur
sanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by msundman View Post
And my point was that of course those features are beneficial, but they should be implemented in software first (and that they should have been implemented in software years ago). Putting stuff in hardware is a form of optimization, and premature optimization is usually suboptimal at best and very counter-progress at worst.
I wonder why you are so acerbic regarding these controllers. Perhaps you should email Epson to let them know they're being very stupid and they should have asked you what to do first.

Perhaps the whole "partial updates" stuff has already been implemented in software. The iLiad uses an X server for its display (which I personally find strange from a technical viewpoint, since they only use full-screen apps anyway and seem to do most rendering on a pixel basis).
It is easy to have a software implementation providing sub-area screen refreshes. However, if the controller needs to update the entire screen for each of these updates to become visible, it is of very little use.

Anyway, from the new information it seems that what they mean by 16-fold parallelism is simply updating 16 pixels simultaneously, which makes the response time for the entire screen flip much higher.

Last edited by sanders; 04-19-2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: typo
sanders is offline   Reply With Quote