View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #67
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
If people only want to sideload books, why do they buy a store branded, subsidized e-reader?
Why wouldn't they? The branded devices are usually up to date tech wise and cheaper. Wanting to sideload doesn't mean they aren't buying the majority of their stuff from said store. A lot of books have crap formatting or need tweaking, those then need to be sideloaded too. Not to mention the non-store readers aren't easily available here.

Quote:
To make a profit and to continue existing as a company they have to sell you B&N content, so they have to make buying B&N content more attractive then buying non-B&N content.
I really don't see how what they're doing makes purchasing from them any more attractive. That's done by having a good store experience and enticing offers, not by locking things up tight.

Quote:
But even then. 512 MB is enough for 500 to 600 sideloaded books. Who really needs more books than that available at one time? You can only read a few books at a time.
I agree (for me), but a lot of people want their entire libraries on their device. Not hard to understand. Still even though it's enough space for me I don't like the idea of segregating the storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Do all those people complaining realize that the specs of this new Nook e-reader are comparable, and even slightly better, to those of the Kindle Paperwhite that a lot of people are calling the best e-reader available?
Slower processor and older screen tech on the Nook. What specs are better? Maybe that it's ad free and lighter I guess. I think most of the complaints really center around things people hoped a new Nook would have (microSD, page turn buttins) as it's something that helped set their device apart from Amazon's.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote