View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #24
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
um, ricky... the original poster never said anything about theft, on the contrary he very explicitly was looking for a way to PAY for the books he wants ; even if it was through a proxy. yes, he did mention his disapproval of amazon's draconian lock-in methods, which i have to admit i share, but he went on to say that despite that he wanted to support the bourgeoning ebook industry, even if that meant he had to go through amazon to do it. that is why i reacted as i did in my first post. theft is pretty obviously illegal ; trying to purchase something from a legitimate vendor is (theoretically, at least) not.
I suppose if the Kindle-owner bought books at the request of the OP, sent them along and was reimbursed without ever loading the books themselves on their Kindle, that wouldn't violate the spirit of the law but I'm pretty sure it would violate the letter of the law as well as the terms of service with Amazon. It would also get tricky if they both wanted the same book. Amazon prevents you from buying a duplicate copy of something you already bought. The Kindle-owner couldn't buy a second copy for themselves.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote