View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You're forgetting one thing: the way that it was handled before isn't necessarily the way that it's handled now. Are you sure that newer firmwares still behave like the one that you examined?

I have thoroughly investigated the way that reader font sizes were handled in previous versions, and from what I understand, they are still (mostly) handled in the same way now. Mostly, but not exactly: the font sizes patch behaves exactly as it should on the version where I examined it, but it does a few odd things on new firmwares - and I don't know why. I have also thoroughly investigated the jailbreak method for the Paperwhite 5.3.1 - and yet, even if the 5.3.3 firmware works almost exactly like the older one, it's not doing "that one important" thing.

The point is: yes, you provided valuable insight into older firmware versions, and yes, much of it probably also holds for newer ones. But unless you go through the entire procedure of re-evaluating and re-confirming every single one of your findings again, your statements are not much more than educated guesses.

PS: I guess that by now, we scared BeccaPrice away.
Yep, you are right.

And (partially contradicting with one of my previous statements) I don't think I will look into Java part on new firmwares, because it will be painful experience.

I think, I can't argue furthermore, because I confirm that it's possible that Java UI in new firmwares does unknown things when it notices USE_ALT_FONTS marker (Fontconfig part and ;fc-cache part are still behaving the same, I did examine them).

(Still, it feels right for me to think about all parts of USE_ALT_FONTS method, including Java UI part, as having solid foundation, that has been proved once, hasn't been disproved since and could been proved again in any moment, but not as about some black box having incomprehensible, voodoo behavior.)

Sorry, BeccaPrice.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote