View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
I do agree with your statement too.

But knowledge of why things are programmed the way they are wasn't the matter which I pointed to. I was pointing to the fact that there is a solid knowledge about how USE_ALT_FONTS method is programmed/implemented and how it's behaving and this knowledge is based on thorough techincal examination, not on empirical evidence.

I do have byte code for Java part of USE_ALT_FONTS thing, which I can read as well as real source file (just order of magnitude slower and harder). And there is source code for Fontconfig used in Kindle. And there is easily accessible source for ;fc-cache command (it's a simple shell script).

There is nothing magical in USE_ALT_FONTS method and I just wanted to stress it. The fact that behavior of this thing could be examined only with reverse engineering have no value now, when this reverse engineering was already done and results were posted.
You're forgetting one thing: the way that it was handled before isn't necessarily the way that it's handled now. Are you sure that newer firmwares still behave like the one that you examined?

I have thoroughly investigated the way that reader font sizes were handled in previous versions, and from what I understand, they are still (mostly) handled in the same way now. Mostly, but not exactly: the font sizes patch behaves exactly as it should on the version where I examined it, but it does a few odd things on new firmwares - and I don't know why.

I have also thoroughly investigated the jailbreak method for the Paperwhite 5.3.1 - and yet, even if the 5.3.3 firmware works almost exactly like the older one, it's not doing "that one important thing".

The point is: yes, you provided valuable insight into older firmware versions, and yes, much of it probably also holds for newer ones. But unless you go through the entire procedure of re-evaluating and re-confirming every single one of your findings again, your statements are not much more than educated guesses. Sad but true.

PS: I guess that by now, we scared BeccaPrice away. Sorry, Becca.

Last edited by ixtab; 01-18-2013 at 06:48 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote