View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #25
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabethwaters View Post
Neither I nor the MZB Literary Works Trust intends to go with Kindle exclusively, but if we publish things there first, we can download the eBook version and reread it on a very small screen (I use my iPod), which helps us catch errors we missed the first time.
Thank you very much for the reassurance and welcome to MobileRead!

While I'm not overly concerned if authors put out brand-new releases as exclusives, it's welcome news indeed to know that pre-existing books haven't disappeared permanently and will be returning one day.

Speaking of new releases, may I ask if there's any interest in doing e-book versions of Paul Edwin Zimmer's work?

When Hunters of the Red Moon was offered as a freebie gift over the holidays, one of our members said that there were at least PEZ two titles that he would like to get. I don't suppose there are any plans at the moment, but if they do end up in e-versions, I'm sure you're guaranteed at least one sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabethwaters View Post
We really want to produce quality products, so it makes sense to start with the platform where we can fix things without having to pay to have the corrected version republished.
It's too bad Fictionwise charges for corrected versions, which they really shouldn't. That would explain why a number of publishers seem to have put up a rather sloppy job and left it at that (mind you, that doesn't explain why those same publishers also seem to have the same uncorrected errors in their samples from other stores, so I suppose the habit of releasing and not-fixing stuff is kind of ingrained).

I do appreciate your taking the time to fix errors and do a proper release. I often enjoy the new introductions and story notes on some of the MZBLWT re-releases which make it worth it to buy the new version of a book I sometimes already own, for the added context.

One thing you might want to be aware of is that when an edition gets fixed and updated, Amazon Customer Service doesn't always let customers who've already bought the title know that there's an update (their emails regarding those tend to be kind of sporadic, except for truly major errors, according to some of our member authors who've updated, though perhaps they didn't check the right box to send out the notice), and Amazon doesn't send out the new version automatically to people who've already downloaded the book.

This, apparently, has to do with the 1984 deletion fiasco, where someone lost all the notes they'd created.

So if there do turn out to be things that need to be corrected, you might want to perhaps consider including somewhere in the blurb some sort of note about what the new corrected version is and when it was updated, for the benefit of any early adopters who can then contact Amazon CS to request the new version.

Also, I don't know what your usual e-book creation workflow is like, but several tools which have their own support forums right here on MobileRead (people are very helpful with answering questions and working out problems, and the software developers often respond to requests) are Sigil and Calibre, which can readily produce ePub and produce and convert from just about any e-book file format, respectively, and may be useful in creating a preliminary version to portably proofread from.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my concerns. I look forward to spending some money on the new edition of Changing Fate and its sequel when they show up at Fictionwise.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote