View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
Fake51
Enthusiast
Fake51 began at the beginning.

Device: LBook V3
@Dave:
Quote:
There is nothing odd about firmware image files being different sizes, since any minor change in the source code will change the size up or down. When I compile firmware for other devices, the firmware image ALWAYS comes out a different size after any software modification.
Yes, supposing you're just compiling code. I rather doubt that's the case with the Hanlin firmware - if I remember correctly, a description of taking the .bin file apart on OI revealed that you're actually looking at an image of a filesystem, not just a bunch of files or one file. NOT a bunch of files. Hence you'll find that the firmware is aligned in size to physical size of disk.
Looking inside the firmware file, there's tons of unused space - it's not the result of compiling code but the result of filling up unused space with blank values instead of garbage data.
Apart from that, I'm pretty sure 57671680 equals 55MB. Every calculater I've tried so far tells me that 57671680 / 1024 / 1024 equals 55.

Edit: link to OI description of firmware file http://openinkpot.org/wiki/V3FirmwareFileFormat

Regards
Fake

Last edited by Fake51; 01-26-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Adding link
Fake51 is offline   Reply With Quote