View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #56
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
You are quite welcome!

On another note, I got my first KF8 and on my 3.4 enabled reader it looks just plain awful. Awful line spacing, the drop caps look terrible, the fonts spindly and the file is HUGE!
There should be an option to turn off publisher font in the aA menu if the embedded font is done correctly (at least KT and K4 have this option). Most embedded fonts will not look great at the smaller text sizes. Not enough screen resolution.

It sounds like you might be rolling your own KF8 with kindlegen or kindle previewer? in which case the file contains mobi, kf8, and source, and will be roughly 3x larger. There is a python script here (mobi forum) that will extract just the KF8. KF8 is not significantly larger than equivalent mobi in general. KF8 files delivered by Amazon only contain the KF8 segment. I haven't played with calibre's conversion to KF8, it may not have this problem.

There is also an issue with KDP when some Word docs are submitted for conversion (unless that has been fixed). Looks okay in previewer and on Fire but on KT text is tiny. "Wool Omnibus Edition" for example. Len Edgerley (Kindle Chronicles podcast) had this happen to a book he submitted.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote