View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
Not completely true...
I know that in the Netherlands, most people consider a 'IJ' as a modificated 'Y', and sort accordingly: IJzer comes after York in the Netherlands...
But in Belgium a IJ is considered as a combination of I and J, and words are sorted that way: IJzer comes before intussen in Flanders...

And... as far as I know... Dutch dictionaries like Van Dale (which is considered 'reference') do it the 'Belgian' way...
I looked at it a bit more deeply, and it's indeed even more complicated than I thought

As always, Wikipedia is a good first reference: IJ

And you're right, dictionaries treat it as I+J (as do the Belgians and the Taalunie), which I personally find very odd, and is not what I was taught in school. I was taught what Horlings (warning, Dutch text) calls the 'Hollands' point of view: that IJ and Y are variant glyphs of the same letter, and the Dutch alfabet ends with X IJ Z. This is what the Dutch phone directory does (treating Y and IJ as the same letter for sorting).

Confusing, but fun
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote