View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Orwell, George: Keep the Aspidistra Flying. v1.2. 1 June 2009

Keep the Aspidistra Flying tells of Gordon Comstock's war against the "money-god", as he stubbornly refuses to take the easy route expected by society by joining what we would now call the rat-race; we see the inevitable consequences as he sinks into the mire of poverty, limited ambitions, and bug infested rooms. Written by Orwell in the mid-1930s, this is one of his lesser known works, but worth reading if only to see how far Gordon is prepared to go in refusing to conform.

There is a previously posted LRF version of Keep the Aspidistra Flying on this forum, which closely follows the Gutenberg text.

This current version has been converted directly from the Project Gutenberg text, with the following enhancements:

Replaced "--" with em-dashes.
Proper use of opening and closing quotes, and apostrophes.
Correct use of italics for emphasised text, instead of CAPITALS.
"Smart" italics. Italics are rendered on the PRS with additional trailing white space, which can look a bit odd if italicised text is followed by punctuation, e.g., instead of "Is this italics ?", I have chosen to italicise the subsequent punctuation, e.g., "Is this italics?", which I think looks better.
Some corrections to typos.

I hope you like this version, and please let me know of any corrections.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Keep the Aspidistra Flying - George Orwell.lrf (247.9 KB, 518 views)

Last edited by ShellShock; 06-01-2009 at 01:16 PM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote