View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
... I'll have a lot of reading to do in .pdfs ...
I will need the option to see the number of the page I am reading in order to cite my sources correctly -- I heard Kindle doesn't have this feature.
You've heard incorrectly.

When reading PDF's, the Kindle K3 displays the page number. Since PDFs are page based this is easy to do and the page numbers are consistent regardless of reader device.

With true ebook formats, the text flows based on the display characteristics (font size, letter spacing, line spacing, ...) set by the reader device. Ereaders can't reference a page number in the ebook file as pages, per se, do not exist.

Some ebook readers attempt to reference the page number of the source print version. This generally results is a somewhat inaccurate page # display where several screens reference the same page and often a single screen will reference to adjacent pages. Citing the page # isn't too difficult, but citing the appropriate book version can be. Any reader that merely counts "screens" is useless for citing as the screen number will change depending on the device used for reading and the device's settings.

The Kindle's, and other Mobipocket format reader's, approach is to reference a "location" in the electronic file. These can be cited just like "pages". A particular location number is identical regardless of the particular ereader used or its display settings.

There's a good essay on this at: http://www.edukindle.com/2010/08/why...on-the-kindle/
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote