View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
This one, I disagree with. Here's why. Setting line height can make certain things possible. For example, drop caps. If you don't set the line height, it becomes highly dependent on the font, which means that changes to your font result in severe formatting breakage.

Also, for some fonts, the calculated line height ends up being less than 1.2, and if you don't force it up to 1.2 either by redesigning the font or by setting line-height, you'll end up with different layout in different readers. (Oops.)

So instead of saying "don't set it", I would say that if you are going to set the line height, never set it to less than 1.2 (many readers will ignore it if you do) or more than about 1.5.

I would also add that the typical calculated line height for 99% of fonts is approximately 1.2, so if the font you're using requires a much larger spacing to be readable, you probably chose a lousy font.
I have to disagree with you here. 1.2 for a line-height can be just too large and make the lines look too spaced. A good line height depends on the font in use. Also, Kobo defaults to a line height of 1.3 which is even worse then 1.2. So you have to set a line height there or you get large gaps. I actually like Charis SIL set at a line height of 1.0 which is the default for most ADE versions (Desktop and Sony). I do remove line height when it makes the text too big or I adjust it if needed to make the lines closer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote