View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #309
centhena
Enthusiast
centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Kindle does not support nested collections normally. As a result the way CM handles it you loose the ability for your Kindle to display the collections first and then all non-collections items afterwards. If you want the sub-collections to display first, you will need to change the sort to "title" and make sure your sub-collections are in front (e.g. by leading 000 or something).
I'm not trying to do this. I'm perfectly happy with only the uppermost level collections being on my homepage. I do get single books that are not in any collection afterward and should that stop working I'm perfectly okay with having a { Non-Series } collection for books that are stand alone.

Quote:
The Kindle does not have the ability to sort by book number either. So if you want to have it sort by books in a series then you will have to add the book number to the title of the book. Calibre can do that automatically for you by using metadata plugboards. You would need to check out the calibre forum for specifics and more details, but here is a plugboard you can use for including the book-number as part of the title.
I've never used plugboards before in Calibre. They've always kinda scared me and seemed intimidating. With my Kindle 3 I had all my books in order using the publication date. I created collections for book series and then in that collection I would have all of the books in order using Author Sort. It would draw the order information from the publication date I set in Calibur and everything was in the right order without having to add numbers in front of my titles, something I'd prefer for the sake of cosmetics to not have to do. i had to manually go in and adjust the publication dates so they'd be in reverse order with the most recent volume showing as the oldest and so on. It worked great. This method was working on my Paperwhite before I started playing around with it. Perhaps I'm just not understanding, but are you saying that with the Collection Manager installed I'm no longer able to do this and HAVE to use a plugboard with numbers in front of my titles to have things appear in the right order?

Quote:
Example (quick and dirty):
In calibre goto to preferences/import-export/metadata plugboards and choose:
from format: any format
device: KINDLE
source template: {series_index:0>2s} - {title}
destination field: title

Now every time you send a book to your Kindle from calibre (via send to device) the metadata of the book will be changed to include the book number in a series as part of the title of the book with one leading 0 for book 1-9. So for example if you have The Dresden Files then the first book (Storm Front) will get the metadata changed on the file that is beeing send to the Kindle to: 01 - Storm Front. Whereas the last book (so far) would be changed to: 14 - Cold Days.
Thank you! This makes me feel much more comfortable playing with plugboards. I will try this and if I'm not able to get them in the right order without putting numbers in front, that will be my fix.
centhena is offline   Reply With Quote