View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I'm sorry... I just don't understand... How's this different from 'pirating'??? It seems to me that the book is bought illegally, except you paid for it...
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

When you say "illegal", if you mean it's against the law .. well, it's not. If you're taling about geographic restrictions on the sale of a book, these are a matter of contract between the parties involved (author, publisher, possibly bookseller). Going against the terms of a contract is not a criminal act.

More importantly, the purchaser is not a party to the contract. You can't be sued for breaking a contract you didn't enter into - and you certainly can't be prosecuted in a criminal court.

If you're talking about avoiding the extra charges that Amazon impose on non-US delivery - well, that might be regretable, but, again, you are not breaking any law.

Note that I'm not arguing either for or against geographic restrictions or non-US delivery charges. I'm only saying that you are not breaking any law if the restrictions are infringed.

Last edited by Mike L; 03-05-2010 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Clarification
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote