View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
ziphnor
Enthusiast
ziphnor began at the beginning.

Device: none
Buying Kindle ebooks through a US VPN with an international credit card

Hi,

As part of trying to figure out whether i want to buy a kindle i wanted to see if i could buy from the kindle store at US prices.

I used the free hotspot shield VPN to give me a US IP address. This caused Amazon to show me the US prices. I then created a new account and registered it in Kindle for PC. I then tried to order a (very cheap) book at the US price. If i gave my real billing address it would change the price. However when i gave a bogus US billing address it accepted my non-US VISA card without complaints and the book showed up correctly in Kindle for PC.

This leads to the following questions:

1. Will giving a billing address that doesnt match my credit card cause problems later? (ie will Amazon have problem with the transaction or similar).

2. Can i order a Kindle to an address in Europe and use the account i just created on it (and view the book i just bought)? Will i be able to continue buying on my PC and transferring to the kindle via USB at the US price or will my account suddenly decide its in europe for the purposes of buying online?
(i realize that if i use the 3G connection to buy books i will end up paying extra).

Thanks for reading.
ziphnor is offline   Reply With Quote