View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I'm guessing that they will, at least, make the "bookshelves" mutually accessible. That guess is based on three things:
1) eReader already has access to the Fictionwise bookshelf, at least I know the Blackberry version does. I can download any of my multi-format FW purchases OTA to my phone.
2) B&N already claims interoperability with eReader (for lending and synching).
3) It would just be silly not to, especially if they want to convert existing FW customers to their own device.
Actually, on point 2 you're mistaken. They support eReader format, but not eReader.com. You can't sync or lend eReader.com books, those must be sideloaded to the device, and any annotations or bookmarks you make will not by synced back to your B&N library for viewing on other devices. It's the same with books from Fictionwise.

I've seen other companies merge and migrate accounts before, I remember when Yahoo did it with Flickr. It would most certainly be possible for them to import accounts from Fictionwise and eReader, however at this point not all the books at those sites are available at B&N. I think they'd have to merge libraries before they can begin merging accounts. It may take a while before all that gets started, if ever.
(I will say that I hope they merge the libraries sooner than later. There are a couple of books on my "to-read" list which are available at eReader but not B&N, and I'd rather buy them from the nook when I get it than have to sideload them.)
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote