Thread: Share a Library
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
Thank you TheDucks! I will see if I can give it a try. Hopefully lots of hand-holding instructions.... :O)
Inside your home (LAN), piece of cake (I like double fudge )

Preferences: Sharing over the net
Note the settings and/or change the Username and Port. Pay attention to the Red Note. Try First without, then you can try with if you want to limit which users (under 18 ) for some libraries.
Unless you have set your router to 'port forward' to the specific port OR if you are running an un-secured WiFi, those outside you home LAN can't see your library.

Oh! you need to START the server once the configuration is done.
2 ways
1) the tick box on the configuration page: will Start the server Any time Calibre Starts
2) Manual: Right click the Connect/Share Icon and change the state of the server (Start)

NOW for a
Set up a 'Calibre Auto Add folder' on your system. Preferences: Adding books: The tab with Automatic in it's name. The choices are yours.

Now Use the File system to SHARE this folder (It SHOULD NOT be inside the Library folder).

Now any share user can drop a (new) book into that folder and Calibre will add it. YOU will have to massage the metadata

The users just enter the IP (or computer name for some better routers) and the port number you made note of into the address bar:
Here is the one (you can't get at it ) for my wife's T.N. (Trashy Novels) collection http://192.168.0.11:8081/ that is on one of my Linux Systems.

Last edited by theducks; 08-24-2012 at 09:40 PM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote