View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #27
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Am I in bizarro world? A blind woman was disgruntled because she can't use an ereader.....*clears cobwebs from head*...am I missing something here? How is this discrimination? I hate to break it to this lady but she's BLIND, there are always going to be things she can't do; that's simply the hand that nature dealt her. Borrow a book on tape. And suing a library that is probably already hanging on by a thread is just low. Sorry.

Absurd.
What's absurd is your lack of sympathy for people who don't have your abilities, as well as your missing the point that the library was violating the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It was a limited-scope pilot to identify issues to be addressed in case they went with a full deployment. (Which in the end they did not.)
First, knee-jerk, reaction was to sue.
(shrug)
Modern practice is sue first, discuss later.
Well, it looks like they found an issue. And issue that was, however, blindingly obvious. For lack of a better word.

And no one sued anyone. Someone complained to the office of civil rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Let's be honest though, how many blind people A) use the library, B) would even be interested in said program. I'd dare say the costs would far outweigh any benefits.
Lots. Do you know any blind people?
Quote:

Like everything else in America, what may have started out as a good intention (the disabilities act) has mutated into an abomination and a form of abuse backed by the power of government. She should have gone to the library first and if it didn't work out, she should have shrugged and gone on with her life. Life is unfair sometimes. *shrug* I don't lose sleep because Abercrombie doesn't carry clothes that fit my husky boy needs. Likewise I wouldn't pitch a fit if a library didn't cater to my particular disability, it would be unfair to the other taxpayers to cater to my needs.
You don't lose sleep because the blind are denied access to public services since you are not blind. Again, great attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Is a library allowed to offer a physical book that is not available in Braille or in an audio version? If so, shouldn't someone sue?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Presumably, then, American libraries aren't allowed to have CDs, because deaf people can't listen to them?
No.

The issue here is that there are e-readers accessible to the blind (including Kindles and the iPads and iPod touches mentioned in the article), and the library chose e-readers that were not accessible to the blind. You aren't required to do the impossible, but you have to make an accommodation if it can be done reasonably.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote