View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #1355
seabream
Enthusiast
seabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1, RIM Playbook & Z10, Samsung Note, MacOSX
Note to Jade Aislin and anyone else who might find it useful: On AO3, "character A/character B" is by convention not the same as "character A & character B". If you look at the FAQ on tags, "/" denotes a romantic or sexual relationship, and "&" is for friendship. Tag wranglers won't override an author's chosen tag if they don't follow, so there is mixed usage.

Also, in case you haven't run into it yet, the pipe " | " used to divide character names for characters who have multiple identities e.g.: "Snow White | Mary Margaret Blanchard" from "Once Upon a Time (TV)" doesn't actually have leading and trailing spaces, though it displays with them on AO3, so if you want to replace them with something else (I use a lower case L with leading and trailing spaces because it looks almost right) because Calibre divides tags with pipes in them into separate tags, the replace metadata will fail if you include the spaces. So use e.g.:
Code:
 ships=>(\|)=> l &&category=>Once Upon a Time \(TV\)
To JimmXinu: Again, thank you for all the work you've done JimmXinu, the customization is wonderful.

Questions and comments: I found why my parentheses weren't working. I had the line
Code:
include_in_category:ao3categories
which apparently doesn't work (should have been under custom columns as
Code:
 ao3categories=>#category,a
), pre-empting most of my AO3 stuff. i.e.: everything after that.

To both re: duplicate stories on multiple sites:

I usually treat a story by the same author on a different site as a different story because different sites tag and format differently, so I can't treat the downloads the same way to get the same result anyway. If it's a new-to-me story, I pick one site's version and only update that version. I download new-to-me (or ones I think are new), with "If Story Already Exists?" set to "Add New Book" so that if I happen to end up with a unnoticed duplicate in a long list I can compare them. The times when I'll switch, or add, to my library with another site's version of an existing story are if an author has stopped updating on one site and moved to another, or I know that there have been edits, in which case again, I have two versions, one of which I'll tag "deprecated" in one fashion or another. Offhand, I can't think of a time when I'll want to overwrite one site's version with another, so I do appreciate having a notification when it might happen. I've tested 1.7.24 and the notification works on the example Jade Aislin provided.

Re: when an author or title changes
I thought that the URL was already the identifier. I remember that title used to work as the identifier, but after an update, having FFDL match two stories with the same url, one of which I'd changed the title on. I'm reasonably sure that I've updated stories that have had one or both change, and had them update successfully, showing the new title and/or author. Potentially this is an issue if you want to retain the old title and author, but they still appear in the logpage_entries if you have it set to include them.