View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I'm not aware of authors who now work like this. Any names?

Even if it is working for a few authors, that doesn't mean it would work as a commonplace method of author payment. I might be marginally generous enough to make a contribution to a seemingly deserving software or book author once every year or two, but I'm not about to do it several times a month.

However, I don't want to come down too hard on you. I believe you are genuinely trying to come up with workable ways to compensate authors in a world without DRM and in which piracy is risk-free. At least you don't try to claim that if publishers ignore piracy, lower their prices, and take away DRM, authors can then live off of voluntarily paid low prices.
Are you telling me you pirate most of your texts? Or do you choose not to read something without paying for it first?

Publishers won't have to ignore piracy or lower prices because nothing will be sold, therefore nothing will be able to be pirated. There would also be no need for DRM. Authors would have to live off of volunteered donations but,

I assume you browse the app store on your mobile device? A large portion of those texts are ad supported. I use the universal meaning of the word text, to include all of creation. But even the games contain words.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote