View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 AM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
It is one of those crazy dutch names you so eloquently describe above.
Eeeeh nice! Living in the Netherlands though, I'd prefer to have my own name (a nice English one) than a regular Dutch one, keeps me special :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Actually, Kobo is listing that name perfectly under N!

The surname "Van Name" sounds Dutch or otherwise related to Dutch. The "Van" is actually officially (originally) written without a capital and is a joint word, meaning "of" or "from". So it's Mark R. from Name. You wouldn't say Mark R. From Name.

Official alphabetising of surnames with joint words is to sort the name with the first letter of the actual surname, so not of the joint word. In this case, the "N."
Just to add to that, the official sorting would be: "Name, Mark R. van"

Funnily enough, in the Dutch part of Belgium, they use that joint word as part of the surname and sort it the way you're looking for and use a capital: "Van Name, Mark R." Of course, I disagree with that :P
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote