Thread: PRS-T1 Modified Sony home screen
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #395
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Following the last few posts, I'm not sure whether this is required anymore, but for anyone, like me, who doesn't have access to the Android system settings and is using Windows and needs to restore the T1 to a plain vanilla firmware...
  1. *** Important *** Fully charge the PRST1 before you start.
  2. Warning: the Rescue process will reset all the PRST1 Settings. So if it's been a while since you last visited the Settings menu, you may like to remind yourself of what your current settings are
  3. Download the Rescue Set zip file from the link in post #385, it's actually called restore-set-1.0.04.12210.zip Unzip it to the PC.
  4. Not sure whether this step is necessary, but I made sure calibre was fully closed before starting. Similarly, Sony's own Reader for PC software (or whatever it's called).
  5. Connect the T1 to the PC, in the normal way, and select Data Transfer mode. Wait until all "external drives" are recognized by the PC before continuing.
  6. In the unzipped directory, find the file called flash_reader.bat and double-click it. It will open a Windows command box.
  7. You will be asked whether you want to continue. Type Y. Then let it run and do its stuff.
  8. After a while (10-20 minutes? can't remember exactly) the T1 will reboot itself -- twice, I think.
  9. Disconnect the T1 in the normal, safe way. That's it!
  10. To be honest, I don't know whether this step is necessary or not, but I'm a tidy soul... The process will leave behind a few files in the T1's internal memory root directory (the user visible root, not the real root), which you might like to delete. From memory (???) there was
    • script.log - a plain text file logging the fine tech details of what just happened. This file is harmless. I took a copy, just in case, before deleting it.
    • PRS-T1 Updater.package - I'm not sure whether this file would do 'unwanted stuff' the next time you did a full shutdown/reboot, so I deleted it. It seems to be used in all these installer packages.
Thank you. I have downloaded the proper firmware file and I'm set in case I ever need to reflash a T1.