Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
CTgreen
CTgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Thank you Brian,

I had looked at that thread, but don't understand either solution;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
I can not stand books that are not fully justified and hyphenated, but if you prefer to stop hyphenation the following tip might help.

Mobile ADE libraries in Nook STR(1.0.1 update) have a bug that shuts down the hyphenation engine until the device is turned off and on again. If the Nook Color uses the same library code, maybe you can (ab)use this bug to turn off hyphenation.

Here is how:

1. Prepare a dummy EPUB (or acquire a free one from gutenberg, feedbooks etc.)
2. Extract OPF file from it.
3. Change the language to "UND".
4. Put it back into the EPUB overwriting original one.

When you open the resulting book in Nook STR, the hyphenation engine seems to be getting shut down and all your other books are rendered without hyphens as well. This behavior persists through sleep. The engine starts running properly again after the device is turned off and on.

PS. Since this is a bug abuse, do not expect it to work indefinitely. A patch in a future update might fix this behavior.

Unfortunately, I'm running 1.1.0 so I don't know if this will work for me. Also, I don't know what any of the technical stuff means or how to do it. =P If someone cares to explain what and OPF is and how to extract, I'd appreciate it. And I don't have any language conversion software. =/

And the solution:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
1.2 included an update to RMSDK 9.2 which improves the typography by including (among a lot of other things) a hyphenation engine. If for your epubs you don't want the hyphenation engine (and the better typography, etc...), you can force RMSDK 9.2 to use the 'old' 9.1 text engine by adding adding the css attribute 'adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;' to a body selector ie
Code:
body {
    ... other attributes ...
   adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed;
}
...well, I just don't know how to do that. How can I add code to the ePub during conversion?

Sorry for being such a noob. xD
CTgreen is offline   Reply With Quote