View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #433
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Kobo is now available in the US - I just bought a Glo at the main Powells store in Portland. They have a guy out front with a demo table, flogging the Kobos, and have stock of Glo and Mini, Mini snap-on backs, and the Sleepcover for the Glo.

I love the screen. The touch is nice - gives a bit of resistance to swiping and tactile feedback.

Sitting next to my Sony 950, even with the light off, there is no comparison. The Glo has brighter background and darker text with the light off.

The higher resolution of the Glo screen is noticeably better on text, and there is almost no mottling or coloration with the light on, and no bad pixels, etc. The Sony is going on eBay ASAP.

The range of light levels needs to be adjusted in firmware. At the highest setting, you could use the light for a flashlight, and at the lowest setting it is a bit too bright for reading in the dark.

The text adjustments seem more definite than on my Mini - Sharpness and Weight settings seem to make more difference. My only single gripe about the Glo so far is that the text sizes need to be changed slightly, for closer adjustment in the middle of the range - if the settings now correspond to 9-point, 10-, 12-, and 14-point, they should include 11- and 13-point. As it is, there are too many uselessly-large and way-too-tiny sizes, and not enough fine-grained control in the middle range - it would be nice to get a couple of extra lines on the screen without using too-small type.

So far, it's the best e-reader I've tried.

Last edited by EldRick; 11-08-2012 at 05:15 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote