View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #134
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I can legally buy an ebook without committing theft: but then I can strip the DRM , post it on my pirate web site, or distribute it to all my Twitter followers.
I meant to comment specifically on this. There are lots of DRM-free books that I have bought. Yet I have not distributed a single one to any "twitter follower", or pirate site. I've kept it to my lone little "entitled" self. Somehow the lack of DRM on my book has not caused me to go "arr mateys, heres a book."

Perhaps it could be the fact that I bought the book, (and I even paid for a $7 Smashwords book that a friend authored that is popular in children's Canadian schools, EVEN though I own and was given a paperback copy) and just want to spend my money on myself and respecting the "do not distribute this work to people" notice on the front of it that makes me not eager to go out and propagate it?

What other people choose to do with stuff THEY buy has zero bearing on what I personally choose.

The lack of DRM in said books, have however, caused me to do a happy dance of a different nature. It means I get to still have the book even if my T1 fatally meets with the wheels of a moving bus. (Not that such things exist in Halifax at the moment, but I digress).

People who don't distribute stuff on websites don't make the news though. People who buy stuff that they can even legally continue to read for free (like me with libraries), don't make headline news. The reason? It would be as newsworthy as some reporter coming to my house to proclaim that I ate breakfast this morning. Who cares?
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote