View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #133
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
My mother wanted to buy a book a few months ago. She was stopped to do so by the site that said you had to install all those applications before you could even download the book.

I ended up buying that book for her, removed the DRM, and sent my mother the electronic copy. Had my mother only my brother to turn to, she wouldn't have bought that book.

That is what DRM does. Stopping people from spending money, because they are afraid they won't be able to read the book after they've paid for it. DRM = Don't Read Me.
I bought a DRM book from a website not knowing that the book had DRM. (it was marked as regular epub and not the adobe epub) After I downloaded the file and saw the .ascm attachment, I freaked because it was expensive (it's a reference book) and I tried everything to get it onto my e-reader and could not. This site could not refund my money because their records showed that my download was successful and when a download is successful the seller is instantly billed their share of the cost.

Fair enough. I actually had downloaded it and it's reasonable that, to the seller, that means I actually HAD the book. Anyone could claim their book didn't work and then get an expensive book free in that case. So I understood entirely not getting refunded.

I was stuck for WEEKS with this book that I had bought yet could not read or use. I eventually was able to transfer it to my e-reader using a wine program to put it on ADE and then drag the book into my e-reader via USB. And it was only by a fluke that I discovered that. Were it not for my digging around for "how to", and hard work on my part, I'd still be really sad that the money I had paid for was lost forever with nothing to show.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote