View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #131
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Ah, but authors don't make a living writing- they make a living SELLING what they write. And they can only do so because of legally enforceable copyright.
I am cool with authors having copyright, many people are. The fact that I will still borrow e-books and yet BUY printed books shows that I too, am cool with authors having copyright.

My beef with DRM for books that I buy is entirely about personal use. Entirely. I have this weird sense of entitlement that if I buy a book, I should be able to keep it. So I buy the printed book.

Seems the authors don't have issues with me keeping the printed one even if my bookshelf gets vandalized. So I buy the item that gives me the most personal freedom and permanence of use. So far, DRM infested books don't fit that bill for me. Too many restrictions and legal loopholes for me.

I can understand authors and publishers not wanting books to be pirated, honestly I do. But holding paying customers hostage because of it isn't gonna work. Most people don't have "a pirate site". Most people just want to buy their book and keep the darned thing.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote