View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #130
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
I've borrowed printed books all my life. Some have resulted in a sale from me, and some have not. That's the whole point of libraries, regardless of the format. To find out if the book that everyone is raving about is all that and a bag of chips.
That printed book got to the library , because the government paid the publisher, who paid the author.The author doesn't get paid, there would be no book.

Quote:
Authors make a living writing. They write stuff, people read it, and the people who are hooked end up buying it. The people who didn't like their books after having read them wouldn't have bought them.

That's the value of an author. I consider some authors so valuable that even if I don't NEED to buy a book to read it (I can borrow and re-borrow books multiple times from the library) I still do, willingly buy.
Ah, but authors don't make a living writing- they make a living SELLING what they write. And they can only do so because of legally enforceable copyright. Take that away,stop enforcing copyright, and authors cant make a living writing anymore.Eventually, that will mean no new books( including no new library books).
One of the problems with this discussion is that its easy to see the present inconvenience of DRM and difficult to see the future inconvenience of fewer and lower quality books.Its what I call the passenger pigeon problem- passenger pigeon hunters resisted any hunting restrictions because they could never imagine that the abundant passenger pigeon could become extinct- right up until the year when the passenger pigeon flocks didn't come back.

Last edited by stonetools; 02-13-2012 at 07:20 AM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote