View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #17
jakobim
Enthusiast
jakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toysjakobim shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Thinking about the best approach TBH.

"Yes" is my first instinct but it has to be done carefully not to utterly defeat the point of low power mode.

Believe me I am thinking on it.
I was also pondering on this problem a while ago. Here is what I came up with:

Searching the internet I found in a Kindle Touch test, that fully charged the Kindle holds for about 45.000 page turns, which would be equal to 45.000 / ( 60 * 24 ) = 31,25 days. Of course, seconds is an absolute no-no! OK, let’s assume a full page refresh happens/happened only every 6 pages, but that still would leave us with 31,25 / 6 = 5,2 days, which is still pretty good considering it would display something new every single minute.

And of course there are various ways of improving things:
Assuming that a partial page refresh only takes up the equivalent fraction of the energy for a whole page refresh, you could refresh the four single digits only when they really have to be changed.
The very first digit (upper hour digit) only changes trice a day, the second one 24 times. The upper minute digit changes 6*24 = 144 times a day, and the last digit of course 60*24 = 1440 times. In sum this leaves us with 1611 “quarter” page refreshes a day, which with the number from the test and a full page refresh only every 6 pages results in (45.000 / 6) / (1611 / 4) = 18,6 days.
Also, you could implement various “low power” modes. The first one that comes to my mind would be a night mode, where the time would only get updated every 5 or 10 minutes, resulting in even less page refreshes.

I hope I could explain my thoughts in an understandable way and maybe they give you some nice ideas of how to implement this digital (!, pretty please!) wallpaper clock.
jakobim is offline   Reply With Quote