View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, JohnnyRocks. I agree that Sony needs a font size in between small and medium. It is a very common complaint so you are not alone! I doubt it is a priority in their firmware updates, but your guess is as good as mine.

I often use calibre to adjust the font size. First, this method will only work with books that do not have DRM so it won't work with most purchased books such as those from the Sony store.

1) You need to download and install the calibre software.
2) Then you can drag and drop your non-DRM book onto the calibre window to add it into your calibre library.
3) Then highlight your book in your library.
4) Select the icon at the top called "Convert books".
5) In the left hand column of the Convert window will be an option called "Look and Feel". Click on that.
6) You will see in that menu at the top a field called "Base font option: 0.0 pt". I usually change the base font size to something like 11.0 pt, 12.0 pt or 13.0 pt. You can experiment in that range to decide what works best for you.
7) Click OK in the lower right corner and it will start the conversion of your book.

That's the simplified process. Calibre is very powerful, and there are many more options that you can set to control how your books are formatted. The conversion process will place the book in a folder called "Documents/My Books/calibre" on a Mac. The PC file path should be similar.

If you want to manage your ebook library with the Sony software, then you need to import that converted file into the Sony software to transfer to your ereader. If you want to manage your ebook library with calibre, then you need to connect your ereader via USB. After a few seconds of patience, it will show up as a device icon in the top row of the calibre window. If you right click your book in your library, you will see an option Send to device. Select main memory. That's how you transfer your books using calibre. Don't forget to eject your ereader before disconnecting the USB cable. There is a drop down box on the device icon at the top that allows you to select the eject option.

Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote