View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
To a certain extend, I think that the Safehold series suffers from the same issue that the Wheel of Time series does, which is to say it seems to be more oriented towards generating word count than finishing to story. Weber is a very, very talented story teller. I greatly enjoy reading his books (well, the Dracula saves the world book wasn't one that I plan to re-read, by other than that).

One of the big differences between the early Honor Harrington books and the later Honor Harrington books is that each early Honor Harrington book stood pretty much on it's own. For the most part, each book drove towards it's own internal conclusion rather than drive to a conclusion that was coming two, three, four books forward. This is one of the reasons that Tolkien described LOTR as a single book that was broken up by the publisher rather than a trilogy. The last two Honor Harrington books had no real conclusion, just a big to be continued. The Safehold series has that same flavor for me. The first couple of books had internal conclusions, but the last several have not.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote