View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Android and SSID

I recently acquired three Android devices, Asus Transformer, an Archos32 and a Pandigital Novel. It's been interesting.

I've been using a wi-fi router with a netbook for a couple of years now. The SSID and passphrase are 32 character random strings of alphanumeric and punctuation. Everything has worked well.

I bought the Transformer about six weeks ago. I couldn't get it to connect to the router. The netbook is still working. I set the Transformer aside to work on it later.

I setup the Archos. It would see my router but always refused to connect to it. On a hunch (actually a whim) I changed my password creator program to restrict the character set to only letters and numbers, no space or punctuation. All was well. So I changed the SSID to alphanumeric only and behold! the Transformer now sees the router and connects.

It would appear that Windows accepts any printable character (and space) as both ID and passphrase. Android appears to be more selective. Is there actually a standard that specifies what characters are valid or is this subject to the whim of the implementor? I've already found that Archos and Asus differ in what is allowable in the ID. Any advice would be appreciated.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote